in 1834 by the Harris Family, the city was named for their hometown of Carthage,
Tennessee. Carthage was originally to have been called Leakesville. On
July 31, 1834, the Board of Police selected Carthage as the county seat
of Leake County. The land on which the original settlement was built was
donated in June, 1835 by Thomas L. Harris and his wife, Matilda.
The first courthouse was built
in 1836, serving for forty-one years when a brick structure was erected.
A new courthouse was built in 1910. On April 20, 1837, the first post
office was established.
drew up its first Charter of Incorporation in 1876. The charter was
amended in 1910 to make the town a municipal corporation with powers to
be carried out by a mayor and a board of aldermen.